[Biking-L] Trail Work! Kind of...

Nayt Lowien kc8zpt at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 12 13:09:58 EST 2010

>From my experience biking and trail work with John, working with the athenstrails group is exactly what the MBC needs to be doing; they are very involved in maintaining the local trails for biking as well as hiking users and have ongoing long-term plans of further connectivity and mileage.

-Nayt

--- On Thu, 2/11/10, Cycle Path Bicycles <path at frognet.net> wrote:

From: Cycle Path Bicycles <path at frognet.net>
Subject: Re: [Biking-L] Trail Work! Kind of...
To: "Mac Stricklen" <strickle at ohio.edu>
Cc: "biking-l at listserv.ohio.edu" <biking-l at listserv.ohio.edu>
Date: Thursday, February 11, 2010, 5:03 PM

I've done trail maintenance with John Knouse. He is a very colorful person.

You must ask him to sing some Germanic Opera while you are working.

Nothing like chipping away at the trail  while someone behind you is belting out Vaughner.

It's a great experience.

John
Cycle Path Bike Shop
104 W. Union St.
Athens, Ohio 45701
740 593 8482

http://www.athenscyclepath.com

"Cycle Your Path"

Mac Stricklen wrote:
I think it would be worth the club's time to put in the work on the
campsite, even though it doesn't have as much direct benefit for us as
working on the actual trails.  I've always felt like all trail users in
the Athens area would be better off if we were able to build a few more
connections between the hiking community and the cycling community.
Working with this group on the campsite would help with that.  Plus, Pat
is right about it burning come volunteer hours.

Besides, we might want to go camping sometime, too.

I'm going to try to arrange my schedule to be able to come to this.

-Mac

Fahey, Patrick wrote:

OU MBC,

I talked to Pete at Athens Bike and he put me in contact with a guy
named John Knouse. John will be having a work session on Sunday,
February 21, at Strouds Run. Unfortunately, it sounds like it will be
campsite maintenance and not bike trail work. However, it is something
to kill volunteer hours, and hours are what we should focus on.

What are your guys' and gals' opinions on this? I need to know ASAP so
we can plan on doing this or volunteer for some different things like
swim meets that Club Sports mentions every once in a while.

Something interesting a learned from John. Apparently the parks
department director has a policy of not maintaining trails on city
property, so we can't just go out and do that yet. I'll ask John more
specifically what that means pretty soon. Maybe we can work something
out with the city - we'll see.

Thanks,
Pat

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----