[Biking-L] Summer and Fall

pf185005 at ohio.edu pf185005 at ohio.edu
Sat Jul 11 19:36:05 EDT 2009

Mountain Bikers,

I hope everyone is off to a good summer and having a lot of fun.  I'm looking
forward to being in Athens again, and I have a few things I'd like to remind the
OU MTB Club.

First up we have the student involvement fair.  (OU MTB's is already registered
for a spot.)  It will be Monday, September 7: that's the day before classes
start.  Does anyone have some ideas on what we could do?  Here's the run down
from Campus Life...

The Student Involvement Fair will be held on the College Green on Monday,
September 7, 2009 from 3:30 PM-5:30 PM. The rain location is Baker University
Center, and due to space limitations, the first 100 organizations to register
will be accommodated on a first come, first serve basis if the Fair is moved
inside. The Student Involvement Fair is a great way for your student
organization to advertise and recruit new members! Complete the information
below to reserve your table at the Fair. You must be a registered student
organization for 2009-2010 in order to participate. Detailed set-up information
will be sent to your group later this summer. For more information, contact the
Department of Campus Life at 593-4025 or campus.life at ohio.edu.

Next thing is we have to submit copies of First Aid/CPR cards by September 12.
If you are or will be certified please contact me at pf185005 at ohio.edu very soon.

We also have some club events to think about.  These could be races, day trips,
campouts, maintenance clinics, fundraisers, and volunteer work.

Races:
Some of us did a little racing this past spring, and it's some exciting,
exhausting fun.  I'd like to do this as much as possible next year, and also try
to get some new members into racing.  (Also remember that competition is one
thing that will help us get more funding.)  I've checked out OMBC's and WVMBA's
racing schedules.

OMBC (Drag your mouse over the OMBC Series tab at the top to see the list of races)
http://www.ombc.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90&Itemid=117

I think we should definitely do one of the races at Mohican, and if people are
in town before school starts, the Dillon Rocks race in Zanesville on August 30.

WVMBA
http://www.wvmba.com/races.php

I think the Bob Evans Farm race would be great since it's pretty close.  I would
also consider the races in Morgantown or Davis.  These are a few hours away, but
we could combine a race with a camping trip to make the drive more worth it.

Daytrips:
I think Lake Hope is always awesome, especially since it is so close.  Mohican
is another option, but if we're racing there, it might be hard to squeeze in a
second trip there this fall.

Maintenance Clinics:
I'd like to learn more about bike maintenance, and I think it would be great for
our club to have as many people as possible comfortable working on bikes.  I'm
going to try contacting the local shops to see if they are having any clinics or
if they'd possibly mind giving some demonstrations for our club.

Fundraisers:
Money is nice.  We burned through a lot of it in the spring, but I'd like to be
able to keep that kind of activity up.  Dan and Jordan, you got any ideas
lately?  We could try the cliche court street begging - we talked a bit about
that in the spring.

That's about it for now.  Try to keep the miles up so we can ride fast come
fall.  Any ideas or concerns with anything, feel free to contact me!

Thanks,
Pat