[ASU] SATELLITE MEDIA & COMMUNICATION

Tsikata, Prosper pt340808 at ohio.edu
Sun Jul 14 11:08:50 EDT 2013

Folks - Greetings and i hope you are all doing well and getting ready for yet another Semester which begins in barely a month from now. To our newly arrivals from the continent and beyond, you are welcome to the ASU family and feel free to contact some of us for any assistance you might require in finding accommodation and settling in.

I am wondering if any of you would be interested in the above titled course. It is mounted as a 400/500 course. The professor teaching the course is, however, ready to create a 700 level option for people at the masters and the Ph.D levels to take it as an independent studies, so it could count towards their graduation and other future engagements. I am particularly interested in this course but can only do it as a 700 level course to count towards my graduation. We currently need two more people to enroll for this independent studies track for it to be approved by the registrar. anyone who is interested in enrolling should contact me as soon as possible and i will assist them in what they should do.

Let me remind us all that, in selecting our courses we should always be mindful of the things we spend our times in studying that will be beneficial to our careers and the people of the continent on our return. Satellite Communication is a US$40 billion industry but one can count on the fingers the numbers of people of our kind who work in this area of the communication industry or understand its workings. This is an opportunity you do not want to miss. The interesting thing is that the professor teaching the course is the editor of the communication and space journal, so we stand to benefit a lot from his vast knowledge in the area.

Here is a short message from the instructor:

In this seminar, the instructor introduces such applications as broadband Internet, digital audio/TV/gaming, newsgathering and distribution, distance learning, health communication, geo-positioning and mapping, remote sensing and surveillance, disaster relief, World Cup Sports and space solar power, as a way to illustrate the unique services of space-based media and communication.

The course is offered to Juniors and Seniors as well as Graduate students. Grad students, who enroll for more credits, will meet an additional hour and be held to a higher standard on assignments. All students are expected to do research and in-class reporting; all students will be given considerable freedom to frame their research and writing around topics of their greatest interest (as approved by the instructor).

Regards,
Prosper Yao Tsikata