[ASU] Nomination

Diop, Ousmane od315407 at ohio.edu
Sat Apr 7 01:03:36 EDT 2012

Dear ASU President,
Dear Executive Committee,
Dr. Adeyanju, honorable ASU Advisor,
Dear Faculty members,
Dear ASU members,
Dear Pioneers of the Union,
Dear I.S.U Officials,

Because the Constitution of our Union stipulates in its article 1 that both African students and Africanists are herein [within the constitution] referred to as “members”,
irrespective of race, ethnic, or national origin, I shall make no distinction.
So dear members, I bow to extend my respect to all of you in your rainbow diversity that makes our Union a metonymy for a world of plurality.
If Mandela, as a unifier, proclaims that South Africa is a “Rainbow Nation”, I am tempted to also claim ASU a Rainbow Union.
It is conscious of this reality that I am running for Presidency to bring this rainbow family together along democratic and constitutional principles.
E Pluribus Unum or Unity through Diversity shall remain my creed in order to sew into effective practice the patchwork quilt of a borderless ASU that,
through transcendence, can expand its horizon. It is with this belief in our ability to transcend partisanship, race, ethnicity, and ethno-nationalism
for the much nobler good of ASU that I hope to win your suffrage (votes).
Dear ASU members, it is with profound gratitude, honor, and great humility, that I here accept your nomination for the presidency of the African Student Union.

Congratulations to all the nominees as we all undertake to bring change to ASU affairs while contributing to the development of Ohio University and the Athens community,
as our constitutional wisdom summons us all.

Most devotedly,
[https://mail.google.com/mail/u/1/images/cleardot.gif]

--
Ousmane Diop
President of HASA (Hamline University African Student Association) 2009-2010

M.A African Studies/Politics and Development
Ohio University
71 West Washington
Street Apartment #1
od315407 at ohio.edu<mailto:od315407 at ohio.edu>