[ASU] 2012 African hero

Yacoubou Alou alouyac at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 23:51:22 EDT 2011

Hello everybody,
I would like to nominate Professor Eustace Palmer for 2012 African hero.
Palmer is originally from Sierra Leone, taught at Fourah Bay College (Sierra
Leone), but he had to leave his dear country as the political situation of
Sierra Leone worsened and exacerbated into a civil war. Palmer
currently lives in the US and teaches at Georgia College & State University
(GC&SU). Distinguished Professor of African Literature and Africana Studies,
Palmer is one of the pioneers of African literature written in English. His
first book, *An Introduction to the African Novel*, was published some
thirty years ago. He received his Ph.D from Edinburgh University where he
was involved in many extracurricullar activities as he puts it in one of his
interviews, "At Edinburgh I was also active in student politics. I was
President of the Cosmopolitan and United Nations Club, Chair of the Overseas
Presidents’ Committee." That was at a time when most African nations were
struggling for their independence. His career is full of distinctions and
amazing achievements. Palmer was honored many times, the last time he was
honored was in Ghana for his outstanding achievement as "a world class
academic." For details about Professor Palmer, please just google Eustace
Palmer.
Professor Palmer was at OU during this last African Literature Association
conference.
Thank you.
Yacoubou Alou
M A Student in African Studies