[ASU] Great Appreciation for the Warm Welcome from Everyone

ponyango ponyango at anppcan.org
Thu Mar 4 08:55:48 EST 2010

Dear All,

The purpose of writing is to sincerely express my gratitude for the warm welcome I received from the leaders and members of the ASU to academic staff and the friends of African Students Union at the great University of Ohio in Athens, USA!

Although I have been to a range of University campuses for different reasons, I have not been to one where I was made to feel at home as at Ohio University, where students and staff alike went out of their way to speak with me in fluent Kiswahili (my national language) and Dholuo (my mother tongue).

The most humanly encounter made me overcome the anticipated difficulties as extreme cold weather and jet lag, not to mention the distance from Nairobi.  The creativity of engaging visitors was amazing.  The last thing I expected was to eat ugali (cooked out of maize meal) and fufu (hot and not cold) in Ohio.  You all went out of your way to make my stay in Ohio University more pleasant.

>From the above you can see that I reached home safely with the treasured ASU African Hero Award!  Most grateful for the honour and for allowing me interact with you.  I really enjoyed meeting different groups and I look forward for future engagement as promised.  From listening and observing interactions between students and staff, I think there is a lot we can learn from your great institution.  The apparent effort to nurture leadership and a sense of responsibility was something readily visible.  For this I congratulate the staff and the students for positive engagement.

For those of you likely to visit Kenya, you are welcomed to visit ANPPCAN Head Office and for those likely to visit other countries in Africa, let us know so that we can introduce you to our Chapters or contacts.  For others who may not visit the continent, let us stay in touch through the internet.  For those students who want internship or attachment, you are also welcomed to explore possibilities.

To all of you who took the time from your busy schedules (examinations were indeed very near!), I simply say ASANTE SANA AND GOD BLESS.

Philista Onyango

Your African Hero 2010!

ANPPCAN HEAD OFFICE
Wood Avenue, Off Argwings Kodhek Road,
Komo Lane
P.O. Box 1768 - 00200 City Square
Nairobi, Kenya
Tel: + 254 20 3873990, 3876502, 3861086, 3004406
Fax:. + 254 20 3876502
Email: regional at anppcan.org
web: www.anppcan.org