[ASU] Prosper, you gave the presidency away!

Andrews Ofori-Birikorang ao377703 at ohio.edu
Wed Mar 4 20:12:00 EST 2009

Hello folks,
During the US presidential campaign in 2008 John McCain made a statement on
September 15, the gravity of which will cause him to give the presidency away
forever. In a response to the crisis facing the US economy he remarked " The
fundamentals of the economy are strong"... the rest is history. It was a
statement that turned several voters against McCain, a statement that I believe
he, up to now, regrets making on that September day. Critics summed it up by
saying "he was out of touch" with the realities on the ground.

In our own small world here in Athens during the ASU debate night Prosper made a
similar statement which I believe made a lot of people who, as he believed, had
been rooting silently for him to reconsider their choice of him as their
favorite candidate.

Prosper, was asked a very simple but fundamental question by the panel:"which
aspect of the ASU constitution will you like to see amended when voted into
power?" to which he responded "honestly I have not seen the constitution,..."
and went on to make a case for this blemish (the debate is on tape for
verification).It was a  statement which despite the sense of honesty with which
it was delivered did not strike a positive chord among the full house, and which
will eventually cause him the presidency no matter how close he was to winning
it. His opponent, Titus, made matters worse for him when in response to the same
question he shoved a copy of constitution into Prosper's hands and indicated to
him and other members that the ASU constitution can be found and downloaded from
the ASU website! Yes, ASU website!!!

Both responses from the two candidates proved that despite the enthusiasm that
surrounded his candidacy,  Prosper was clearly "out of touch" with the realities
of ASU. It was the lowest point of an otherwise good performance but it made all
the difference! It was so clear that Prosper did not fully prepare for the
debate or he took everything for granted. For me and probably others, two
questions emerged from this response:

1)How can can a candidate seeking the highest office of an organization inform
its august body/members at such an important moment that he/she had not availed
himself of the very laws of the organization upon which he/she would use to
govern and still hope to be elected to lead them?

2)How can a candidate come up to contest for the presidency if he/she, at the
material moment of the debate, did not know the very duties and responsibilities
he would be performing if elected into power, since these duties and
responsibilities can only be found in the constitution? And is it an issue that
we can easily gloss over?

Well, Prosper you have the right to contest the results but unless you still
believe that some stuff about ASU can still be taken for granted I believe your
current position of attempting to have the results annulled and hoping that it
will be re-conducted for you to be voted into power will be a fruitless exercise
and in vain. I wished you had used the post-election opportunity to help ASU
address some of the lapses you pointed out by conceding defeat and helping to
push the Africa agenda forward here at OU.

As I said in the beginning, you enacted your own version of "the fundamentals of
the economy are strong" and it will be difficult for you to change the course of
history now. You gave the presidency away with that statement on that debate night!!

Please, kindly acknowledge your position as an ordinary member of ASU like the
majority of us have done by accepting the results and sparing all of us the
agony of having to add this election issue to an already existing headache of a
grueling campus and US life!!!

Thanks, and God Bless Africa!

Andy