[ASU] Prosper Responds to George

PY Tsikata pytsikata at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 4 13:48:50 EST 2009

Members,

Thank you George for responding to the
issue of leadership without being hostile, as some have done with the use of
labels like “arrogance” and “ignorance” and so on for what they disagree with. They
couldn’t simply state their opposition to a dissenting view without the “flash”
labels. Indeed, this is what is expected of us in the academe, elucidating
without intimidating, dissenting without slighting, and offering alternatives
without being emotionally driven.

I am glad that at least someone like you
has been moved in the” last beats of the dance” to question  who a future leader is and to proffer your
definition of what leadership is. I am grateful for that.

Now, you should appreciate that I did not
use the term “future leaders” to downgrade our respected members who have been
in myriad of leadership roles prior to returning to academe. I simply fell on
the label for that is the most convenient in this discussion. If for instance,
Obasanjo and Nujoma and many more top-level leaders, or teachers, community
workers, and salesmen decide to return to academe, in an address to the student
body Roderick will not address all this individuals one by one by their varied
former designations. There is a presumption that those seek knowledge, by
returning to academe, do so with the recognition that they want to improve the clarity
and precision of their lens in looking at the world or in finding solutions to
its mammoth problems in specific areas. Proceeding from there, it is obvious that
the future is not a static one; it could be today, 10 years ago if that was
tomorrow and even now as we map the path for a better ASU. The bottom line is
that the future is in a continuum and we can only refer to intelligentsia as
the hope for the future and its membership as “future leaders”.

Let me assure you that we have not
arrived at the “last beats” of the dance yet, when you decide to answer the
questions I raised in my petition about how the number of voter outnumbered the
names on the list and why some would decide to parade their ballots for others
to see, then you probably can have the last beats and the last dance.

Thank you and keep them coming.

Prosper