[ASU] Progressive Islam- Africa You Should Know

Kazi Magadla sm103708 at ohio.edu
Sun Jan 11 20:20:36 EST 2009

Hello guys,

As Bose mentioned in the minutes of the GB meeting. This Saturday we begin our
series the "Africa You Should Know" at the Progressive Islam Conference hosted
by African Studies. We will be having a table display of materials that we
will give to the participants of the conference to take away that best
represent our view of Africa.  In order to do this we need from you guys
articles, books, brochures and interesting facts about YOUR countries (and
other African countries if you have).  Our themes are politics, economics, and
social/cultural progress about YOUR countries.

Joan will be at Yamada House everyday from Monday till Friday from 1- 4pm to
receive your donations and  I will be in the library from 1- 4pm at Alden
second floor.  Zak as well will be at his Clippenger office, you can drop your
materials there.

I trust that you guys will make the time to find the matarials that you fill
best represents your countries, so that the participants of the Progressive
Islam conference leave Athens with a better view of Africa. Let’s do this so
that these stereotypes stop:

10 THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW BEFORE COMING TO AFRICA

10. There are children everywhere: in the village playing, in the city
begging, in the river washing (a few of them are in school, too).
9. There are people everywhere. People live life outside from cooking and
washing to socializing and working. And if you’re over 18 and still alone in
the world, they want to know why you’re not married/reproducing yet.
8. Not matter how far in the bush you are, you can always find a cold beer.
And 5 guys waiting for you to buy them one too.
7. The following items are considered legitimate supplies for vehicle repair:
twigs, cardboard, tree sap.
6. Toilet paper in public restrooms is about as scarce as Democrats in the
current administration.
5. The phrase ‘time is money‘ has no meaning. Be prepared to spend most of
your time waiting for a bus/your lunch/your bill/a meeting/change. Note:
change will never come. If you overpay for something, that’s your problem. The
overage will be consumed by the business.
4. Never assume anything. This includes but is not limited to ‘yes’
meaning ‘yes’, ‘no’ meaning ‘no’, ‘I understand’ meaning ‘I have processed
what you said and will act upon it’, a right indicator meaning a right turn, a
business being open during regular hours, or a confirmed reservation meaning
your hotel room/restaurant table/plane seat will still be there when you
arrive.
3. Traffic laws are optional. (What’s the difference between a drunk driver
and a sober one? Only the drunk driver goes straight, the sober one goes
around the potholes.)
2. Electricity is optional. It generally goes out when you’re about to cook
dinner. It will take between 10 minutes and 3 days to come back on and will
blow out your speakers with a power surge when it does. (What did Africans do
for light before candles? They had electricity!)
and…
1. Just when you think you finally have her figured out, Africa turns around
and bites you in the ass. But hell, I still wouldn’t live anywhere else — for
now.

kind regards,
Kazi.

"I'm so disturbed when my women students behave as though they can only read
women, or black students behave as though they can only read blacks, or white
students behave as though they can only identify with a white writer." - bell
hooks