[ASU] Please read- very important

Bose Maposa bm745207 at ohio.edu
Wed Feb 18 11:49:59 EST 2009

Dear ASU ‘Active’ Members,

I have set out my salutation on purpose because I believe that an organization
thrives not on the unsteady shoulders of those who decide to sit on the fence
but on the cumulative strength of its ACTIVE members-those whose hands are glued
to the structural base of the body stretching every nerve within them to lift it
high, and achieve the goals they have collectively set.  My piece is to you
Active members and I intend to be straight and will not mire myself with any act
of political correctness.

I am a member of the outgoing executive but I write this piece as an ordinary
member devoid of any executive garb or connotations. It is a personal
contribution to the saga on the impending election and all the events that have
so far preceded it. I have to state that I am also free to make this
contribution because I am also not part of the electoral committee that is
handling the forthcoming elections.

Fellow active members, are we really serious about who gets unto our executive
team? Are we interested in who become our leaders for this organization?  Events
leading to the elections have indicated in clear terms that we don’t really take
this organization serious. Otherwise how can we have nominees who don’t have to
go through a vetting to determine their suitability and qualification for the
various positions? This is a basic organizational requirement for the executive
position-the 101 of candidacy.  It   is a requirement that ensures that only
those who actively support the organization in words and deeds, who have shown a
passion for the organization, are elected to push forward its agenda.  It is a
simple requirement, according to my knowledge, that has been followed over the
years by ASU. Indeed, our predecessors who held this organization in high esteem
on more than two occasions disqualified those who sat on the fence or even
behind it from venturing near an ASU executive slot. They had no business being
there!
So the precedent we are setting is simple but dangerous. Come next year any one
can pull a surprise on us by declaring her/his candidacy even when for two
quarters she or he has failed to perform the very basic,  simple, and
fundamental requirements of being a member of the organization.  What are we
expecting? An African wonder?

It is not too late for us to call our house to order, and only we the active
members have the capacity to do that!

Now having said that so far, I must also state that I have followed with keen
interest all the candidates’ involvement or non-involvement in our activities.
I’m particularly intrigued by the manifestos of the two presidential ‘nominees’,
and the latest position taken by Prosper through the response that was posted to
the list serve on Tuesday night.  I have a few questions and comments for you
Mr.  Prosper Tsikata.

First, I really like the quote that laced your first sentence ““how I wish I
could earn credits for any work done for the African Students union that could
make me to dedicate wholly to it in the hope that my time is compensated with
credits.” I believe whoever made that statement is an active member of ASU.  My
question is: can you in all honesty and sincerity make that statement for yourself?

Second, do you indeed believe that one can lead an organization of which she/he
is not an active member? Do you have any example from anywhere in the world
where “ the peculiar situation of  a member” has negated the  assertion that
only active member lead the organization? Or where  non-
active-peculiar-situation-absentee-members have been allowed to lead-never
attended meetings, has missed almost all its major events, is not even
physically known by most active members of the organization which she/he intends
to lead?

Third, did you say “I participated fully in cross-over? How “fully”, and in what
capacity?

Fourth, the issue of the proposed African Restaurant and your response as to
which particular African cuisines will be sold displays your total ignorance
about ASU and its events. Do you know the dishes we cook for our events? How do
we call them-  AFRICAN DISHES of course. Who eats them? African and
non-Africans. What do we cook? Ugali Saza, Jollof rice, mandazi chapatti, Ijela,
Ethiopian bread, and host of others. We don’t cook to satisfy the wish of
everyone yet we always cook to satisfy the wish of ALL. Are you aware we have
African restaurants in Columbus and DC? They cook African dishes including
jollof rice, ugali, chapatti and others. Their patrons, both African and
non-Africans, savor them!

Finally, it is so regrettably and sad to learn that a 21st African Graduate
student still believes that leadership initiatives from young and energetic
minds who are passionate about the continent and have put forward noble ideas of
bringing together Africa’s future leaders to forge common bonds and impart unto
each other the skills of leading and mobilizing is an arrogation of “wasteful
expense”. The most interesting thing is that you still believe that we, like
some of our failed politicians and leaders of the continent should go round
begging our school executives to include us in their leadership programs.
Just to let you know that we are in the era of the CAN DO SPIRIT and we have no
room for those who choose to sit on the fence or behind it!

Thanks for your attention dear active members.

Sincerely yours in the interest of Mother Africa,

Bose Maposa
Graduate Assistant
Ohio Valley International Council (OVIC)
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701
740-274-1624

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both".
Dwight David Eisenhower