[Aphio-L] More SERVICE WEEK opportunities

Morris, Andrew am311606 at ohio.edu
Wed Nov 4 01:21:47 EST 2009

 'Ello brosefs,

It's that time you've all been waiting for... here's the rest of the info for Service Week 2009, including more service opportunities!

Wednesday: The Sierra Student Coalition is putting on Mountainfest this week.  Wednesday evening at the Front Room, there will be speakers (including Geoff Buckley) from 7:30 pm to 10:00 pm.  Dr. Buckley will be speaking about his research on the geographical effects of coal on the environment.  We will give Service Week hours for going.  (I will probably be there at some point with sign-ups, but if you don't see me, shoot me an e-mail saying when you went and when you left so we know how many hours to give you.)

Thursday: The Sierra Club is at it again!  On Thursday at 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm, they will be showing a movie at Donkey called "Coal Country" about the negative effects of coal on the Appalachian region.  SW hours for attending! Let us know if you're interested.

Also on Thursday:  We are having a benefit concert at BW3s for the Habitat 5K. 8:30 pm! Come on out and have some fun!  Get a Service Week hour for coming! (Fellowship hour *cough * cough*)

Friday: We are having yet another Athens Beautification.  The first one went incredibly well; we gathered a total of at least 25 or 30 bags of trash and recyclebles between every group.  So, on Friday at 2:00 to 4:00 pm we will do it again.  E-mail me if you want on the list!  Unlimited spots, of course. (Meet at 1:45 on College Green by the big monument and we'll break up into groups).

Saturday: Register and run the Run for Cover!  It's only $15 bucks, you get a sweet tee shirt (with APhiO's logo on the back, by the way).  (If you're wondering how this fits into SW, Habitat for Humanity is now doing "green" builds. That is, there is a stronger focus on sustainability when designing and building houses.)

We also need volunteers to do some dirty work: Tabs for Ronald McDonald House: we have bags and bags of cans in Gaby's truck that we will be selling. However, we need volunteers to remove tabs to save for Ronald McDonald house.  Let us know if you're interested and we can get you started doing this.  You can still bring in large trash bags of cans to chapter next Sunday for SW hours. (Remove the tabs first for Ronny McD House!)

We don't really need much more in the way of food donatoins right now; however, we MAY need more donuts and cider for FUNdraising on Friday.  Let me know if you're interested but remember it's not a guaranteed opportunity.

Keep in mind we still have the light bulb exchange going on Wednesday and Thursday from 5:00 to 7:00.  Meet on College Green at the monument at 4:45 for supplies and information.  Bring a tote bag to carry bulbs in!

Finally, we are hoping to do another food landfill and spend some time at the Ridges hiking trails with Big Brothers Big Sisters on Friday afternoon.  E-mail me if you want to be put on the list for this event. Keep in mind it is still tentative.

Thanks guys for everything so far this week!  Service Week is moving along quite well, keep up the good work!

--Andrew and Erica

-------
Andrew Morris

Alpha Phi Omega, National Service Week chair
Ohio University Habitat for Humanity, 5-K chair